TOPONYMY AND LONGOBARD PRESENCE
Known in the Middle Ages as Sant’Angelo of Lake Travato, the toponym of Sant’Angelo reappears in the year 1700 as a State fief of the Terra di Acquaviva.
From the end of the 18th century to the early 20th century, the farm was called Sant’Angelo in Criptis or Sant’Angelo Vecchio: we find traces of this in deeds of sale and in the dispute that, starting in 1819, saw the area disputed between the territories of Santeramo and Cassano and only ended in 1911.
In the surroundings of Sant’Angelo, there are toponyms, the etymology of which refers to a probable Lombard origin. They refer to military and garrison posts in the territory, also in relation to their altitude:
● La Guardiola (from warda: guard post in an elevated place)
● Murgia Sgòlgore (from skulka: observation post)
Other place names of Lombard origin:
● Corte Finocchia (from court: small fortified agricultural settlement)
● Salacornacchia (from sala: house for the patronal residence)
Down to the most explicit:
● Masseria Parco del Longobardo